Best Filipino Food in Singapore

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Years ago, if someone asked me what my favorite cuisine was, I'd reply that I wasn't sure, maybe Italian or Chinese and that Mexican food ain't bad, too. That was before I left my country. Now, when someone asks me what my favorite cuisine is, my answer is a resounding "Filipino food!" Thank goodness we got those in Singapore. Here are my faves places to get them.

Jologs
Lucky Plaza 4th floor

This was the first Pinoy restaurant that I tried. They serve all sorts of meals, but I always have the same thing whenever I go there - my favorite tapsilog (tapa, sinangag, itlog) which costs S$6.50. All meals come with drinks that you can refill from a fountain - your choice of Nestea iced tea, Tang's orange juice or water. You can't get any more Pinoy than that.

tapsilog

GP
Lucky Plaza 4th floor

We used to come here when they still had their S$10 lunch buffets which included appetizers, viands, drinks, and dessert. Crispy pata was even included in the buffet. Too bad they don't have that promo anymore as it was a very great deal - all their food tastes great. My favorite is the kilawing tanguige, though, and if I crave for it, I can still go there.

super sulit buffet

my first plateful. my plates are never without kilawin.

Pilipino Cafe
Lucky Plaza 4th floor

It's a small carinderia or cafeteria like place and is really cheap. They have set meals for S$5 that already comes with rice, two viands, and a canned drink. The food tastes good, definitely better than others of its range. My fave choices are the sinigang, kilawing baboy and chicken liver adobo.

S$5 set meal - rice, 2 choice of ulam, 1 drink in can

Kabayan
Lucky Plaza 3rd floor

I wouldn't recommend their meals. They're not bad, but they're not noteworthy either. Pilipino Cafe's viands taste better. However, this store's cassava cake is really good. So it's worth it to drop by here, at least for that. One slice costs S$2. And oh, did you know that Singaporeans don't know what cassava is? They know it as tapioca.

cassava cake

Happy V
Lucky Plaza 2nd floor or Lau Pa Sat, Raffles Place

This used to be known as Jolly V because it's a Jollibee rip-off. Their chicken tastes like chicken joy and their spaghetti is the trademark Pinoy sweet-style one. I wouldn't recommend the burger steak, though. It's nowhere near the real thing. Their value meals average around S$6.

"chicken joy"

sweet-style spaghetti

Mang Kiko's
Lau Pa Sat, Raffle's Place

Their stall looks like the typical lechon manok places in the Philippines, and their food tastes like those too. I love their lechon manok, liempo, and lechon baboy. They only have lechon baboy on Saturday afternoons, though. An order of either one with rice costs around S$6.

lechon manok and liempo

7107 Flavours
Marina Square 2nd floor

This place serves the best Filipino food by far, but we usually reserve it for special occasions because it's a bit pricey, around S$12 an order. Their menu is like Gerry's Grill. My favorites are the ones pictured below. On Friday nights they have live acoustic performances. Feels just like you're at home.

ensaladang mangga


sizzling sisig

inihaw na liempo

leche flan

No comments :