I Love Bean Curd

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back in the Philippines, there is this thing called taho that most people love, but which I hate. I couldn't stand the taste of soya. Up until last Saturday, anyway.

I had met up with Gelle and Joey so they could hand me their treats from Japan. When I got to Nando's where we were having dinner, Gelle excitedly announced that she had brought me something on top of the Japan treats - a cup of the best soya bean curd she had ever tasted. I smiled politely as I didn't have the heart to tell her that I couldn't stand soya. After I polished off my meal of rice, corn, and peri-peri chicken (incidentally my first meal of the day even though it was already 7pm; I get too lazy to eat on weekends), I opened the cup of soya bean curd so I could politely eat it and pretend to like it - or that was my plan anyway. What I didn't expect was that I'd actually love it. I liked it so much that I joined Gelle in going to their basement shop in Tampines mall to buy more. They also have it in mango and strawberry flavors, which I have also tasted, but I prefer the original flavor. I don't know why, but I am a sucker for food with a pudding-like texture, like leche flan or gelatin and the latest is this bean curd.





On Thursday night I happened to get off work early, so Nantoy and I headed to Tampines for a quick dinner. He wanted Chippy's curry chicken, and I said I wanted soya bean curd. I bought three.

The next day, my teammate asked us if we wanted to order desserts from Dessert Hut and out of all the things on the menu that I could order, I chose the egg bean curd. When I told Nantoy about this, he told me: "That's because B-ean C-urd. B-enedict C-umberbatch. You love BC." Excellent deduction, Sherlock. I did not see that at all. There is a pattern in my addictions. Help?

No comments :